The world is such a negative and busy place to be in right now, full of stress and worries that come with life – money, relationships, responsibilities, careers, politics and the list goes on.
I find the best way to balance all of these negative inputs is with a Self-Care Survival Kit. I like to make sure I have something from all of these categories below at any given time for the days when I need a pick me up – and when suffering from mental health issues as well, this has never been more vital!
Wellness Journal: These are available from numerous places but here’s a list of some of my favourites that help you to find the good in each day, plan a successful future and remember to smile
- The Daily Greatness Journal
- The Happiness Planner
- Memory Minder
- Kikki K Journals have a variety of themes to suit most needs
- Q&A Today: 5 Year Journal is more for reflection
- The Wellness Journal
Apps that promote wellness and support
- Spiritual Me has been my go to during anxiety attacks and my depression. It helps to take the time to breathe, reflect and just calm down. There’s a free version and the paid for version isn’t really any different
- Balanced is an app that helps you to make time for self-improvement in whatever form that may be for you. It’s Free on iOS.
- Headspace is a simple to use mindfulness app. The first 10 sessions are free. I think a lot of people have used and loved this app – myself included.
- YOU-app is free with in-app purchases. This app is all about making micro changes instead of trying to do it all in one big step. It’s a nice little companion in your phone.
Bubble bath is essential. I feel completely lost if I run out as taking a bath for some much-needed “me time” is essential.
- Lush The Comforter Bubble Bar: I like to use this by itself or with the Milky Bath Bubble Bar when I’m struggling with Insomnia. It might not put me to sleep but it definitely helps me to unwind and relax.
- Lush A French Kiss Bubble Bar
- Lush Flowering Tea Bubble Bar
- Lush Milky Bath Bubble Bar;
- The Body Shop Almond Milk and Honey Calming & Caring Bath Milk: Worth every penny and what I use when I’ve had a really stressful day and need to feel pampered.
Candles/Rock Salt: I can’t think of a time when I didn’t have candles to hand. I have candle holders in practically every room and love the calming, serene vibe a candlelit room can provide.
- Crystal rock salt candle holder: My MIL bought this for me after my miscarriage in 2013 and I’ve used it ever since. Salt crystal lamps etc are meant to improve the quality of air by reducing negative ions in the atmosphere which is good for our wellbeing.
- Burning candles is tricky: There’s no really good way to burn candles because of the wax, the wicks and the scents being pretty unfriendly to the eco-system but if you can find 100% organic, non-GMO, soy wax or hemp wax candles with organic cotton or hemp wicks and scented with organic essential oils – let me know where you found them and how you can be sure that’s what you’re paying for!
- Create a playlist especially for days when you need a mood boost or for when you need to try and find some calm amongst the noise in your mind. I have various playlists ranging from Stress Less to Sexy Time and Mini Friendly Music.
- Whatever your choice is, make sure you always have some. I never run out of my decaffeinated PG Tips – these are the only decaf teabags I’ve ever liked the taste of.
- Know who you can talk to. Whether it be someone on Twitter, a family member around the corner or a friend you can phone no matter what. Never forget that somebody will be there for you.
- I know I keep talking about this Sleep with Me Podcast but it’s honestly the only thing that can get me to sleep when insomnia or anxiety hits. It probably won’t work for everyone but it definitely works for me.
- If this doesn’t work, I also sometimes listen to a playlist called Jazz for Sleep on Spotify which also helps me to sleep.
- It’s not for every day but if having that chocolate bar/ice cream/roast dinner/fish and chips/apple crumble/pizza/spag bol etc is what you need right now, go ahead and get it. Enjoy it. One day at a time, remember.
- Escapism can be a great stress reliever. A welcome distraction from reality even if for a moment. Cosy up with your current read, some comfort food, that cuppa and breathe. Release. Relax.
- I have a Kindle and a Library pass so accessing books has never been easier.
I know how hard it can be to make time for yourself but in this day and age, it’s so essential to our happiness and wellbeing. Make time for self-care and wellness and your body will take care of you (or it’s supposed to anyways!).
What do you do to love yourself? When was the last time you made time for you? Comment below and let me know!
All thoughts and opinions in this post are my own. This is not a sponsored post (but it probably should be!)